Hygiene Tips for Incontinence
by Sophia Parker on April 16, 2015
Appropriate hygiene is essential for people with incontinence. Here are a few tips to to keep in mind:
- Keep the area around the urethra clean at all times, if possible, to avoid skin irritation.
- If you have a urinary accident, make sure you clean the any affected areas as soon as you get the chance.
FANNYPANTS® leakproof technology help you stay dry when experiencing leakage by easily changing on the go!
When taking a shower, make sure you use warm water and scrub gently. Hot water and hard scrubbing can affect the skin.
- After taking a shower, apply a moisturizer and a barrier cream. Barrier creams include elements such as petroleum jelly, zinc oxide and cocoa butter that act as water repellents and protect the skin from urine.
- Yeast infections are treated with anti-fungal creams containing miconazole nitrate.
Reducing and preventing odor:
- All FANNYPANTS® washable pads are made with a eucalyptus core that eliminates all odor.
- There are deodorizing tablets you can take by mouth.
- Drinking more water not only decreases leakage, it helps to eliminate odor as well.
- Use a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water to remove odors from mattresses. Once the surface has dried, rub baking soda in it and then use a vacuum to clean the remaining powder.